Another Halloween has come and gone. We had a blast! No time to make anything new this year. But we did have a few new bought items that we incorporated into our set up. Here are a few pics of our costumes and yard set up.
This years pumpkin.
November 2, 2010 No Comments
So here I am all decked out as a witch for our neighborhood Halloween party. This is the best pic I could get. Usually I am the photo taker, not the model. I had this awesome broom that I forgot to bring. It would have totally made the picture. I think my favorite part about this costume is that I didn’t make it floor length and you can see the neon green striped tights. It’s a nice little pop of color against the all black dress.
Here’s my little witch. I made the cape from Simplicity pattern 5512. The hat was store bought that I added ribbon and feathers to. The Halloween skirt is one of the many skirts I made a few months ago.
October 25, 2010 No Comments
All costumes are officially done!! So much time was spent on costumes this year that we weren’t able to make anything new for our yard display. On Halloween I’ll be going as Princess Leia.
Since there is no Princess Leia costume available I had to find something close and do some altering of the pattern. I used Simplicity pattern 4795. The neck hole had to be made smaller and a collar band had to be added. The sleeves had to be sewn smaller and I had to sew a hood into the collar.
Hood should really be longer.
Belt is made from vinyl. The silver shapes are vinyl spraypainted silver then glued on and the buttons are those silver blank buttons you buy to cover with fabric. It’s kept closed in the back with velcro.
October 22, 2010 2 Comments
So before I start working on my plush cake slice to go with Marie Antoinette I’m trying to finish up Halloween costumes. We’re doing a theme this year and my husband will be getting involved too. He wants to be a storm trooper so a Star Wars theme it is. I’ll be going as Princess Leia and my 2 1/2yr old daughter will be going as a Ewok. However she thinks she’s going as a teddy bear, whatever she wants to think to get her into the costume is fine with me.
Here’s the hood. I used a brown micro fiber polyester material to simulate the leather.
I did a bit of stitching here and there. I might even distress the material a bit to give it an aged look.
Here’s the body. By the time I finished cutting and sewing the suit together my studio was covered in fur. It looked like I shaved one of our dogs. The costume also includes mittens and shoe covers.
I used Simplicity pattern 2855. The costume is a bit large on my daughter which I think makes it cuter and funnier.
So now I just hope we have a cool Halloween night because this costume will be toasty and I hope she keeps it on.
October 14, 2010 No Comments
Took a while to finish. I’m feeling a bit under the weather. The dress hits my legs about mid lowere leg. This is so my black and green tights and ankle boots can be seen.
September 21, 2010 2 Comments
I finished up the bodice of the witch costume. The dress is made from Simplicity pattern 4136. See what I meant when I said the bodice looked a bit boring. I added ribbon detailing to the puff sleeves and ribbon down the center of the chest. For the main part of the dress I used a a light weight ribbed corduroy.
Here’s a pic of the bodice with the vest. It’s really looking awesome now. All the different kinds of material really give dimension to the dress. I decided the neck needed a brooch. I used some left over ribbon, feathers and I found some awesome skull buttons.
September 12, 2010 No Comments
I’ve officially started working on Halloween costumes for this year. Our family costume theme this year is Star Wars, but I decided to make a witch costume too. I’ve had this pattern for over 4 years. In fact the image on the pattern envelope is different from mine. I’m guessing they updated it this year or last.
The pattern is very easy. I actually found it to be a bit boring in looks. I decided it needed a corset like vest that will go over the dress. I found Simplicity pattern 5582, a Renaissance pattern, that had a nice vest that didn’t require me to use boning.
I had a really hard time taking this picture. Taking a picture of a black garment is not easy. I used a thick ribbed black corduroy, it feels like velvet.
Here’s a close up of where you can get a better view of the front. I’ll have to take a picture of the lining. I used some Halloween plaid material I had left over from last year.
September 11, 2010 No Comments
September 9, 2010 No Comments
Wish this had been available a year ago! It would have been a lot better than trying to make up the Alice costume out of two patterns like I did.
I know it’s only the first of August, but I’m already gearing up for Halloween. Crazy I know. But I like to be done with everything the first of October so that really only gives me two months. I’ve got materail and patterns already purchased and waiting to start. My husband will also be dressing up this year. Surprising! Stay tuned to see what our group costume will be!
August 4, 2010 No Comments